NOW HIRING FOR THE
MARCH 2021 POLICE ACADEMY
We are now accepting applications for Police Officer I (Recruit). Existing law enforcement certification is not needed to apply.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 11:59 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 2
$41,428 - Starting Salary
$43,500 - Salary after police academy & field training (approx. 6 months)
About James City County Police Department
The Department (JCCPD), located in the Greater Williamsburg (VA) area, is proudly accredited through the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission. It has more than 100 sworn law enforcement officers. Every patrol officer is assigned a vehicle and is outfitted with uniforms and equipment, to include: RADAR, Alco-sensor, flashlight, TASER, Glock 9mm handgun, body-worn camera, in-car camera, mobile computer, and an electronic summons system.
JCCPD offers a number of opportunities for career development, specialized assignments, and training including: general investigations, narcotics investigations, traffic safety and enforcement, community services & crime prevention, school resource officer program, and uniform patrol. JCCPD also has a number of specialized teams, to include: Honor Guard, SWAT, Bike Patrol, Marine Patrol, Underwater Search & Recovery Team, Crisis Negotiations Team, Motors, and Tactical Field Force.
Benefits abound, including a take-home car program, health & dental insurance, retirement plan, tuition assistance and more. Click here for a full list.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be at least 21-years-old (by completion of field training)
- Must meet all qualifications listed in Code of Virginia 15.2-1705,
- Must have a high school education or GED (some college preferred)
- Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria
- Must not have been convicted of or plead guilty or no contest to:
- any felony
- any offense involving moral turpitude
- any misdemeanor sex offense
- domestic assault
- Must not have any automatic disqualifiers
- Must not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening.
- If conditionally accepted for a position, undergo:
- a thorough background investigation including fingerprint-based criminal history records inquiries to both the CCRE and FBI
- a polygraph examination, psychological screening, and fitness assessment
- a physical examination and drug test
Job Description: Click here to view the full job descriptionTO APPLY:
- Applying is a two-step process:
- Create your profile (application) being sure to complete all tabs and/or fields within each section, then
- Find and click on the "Police Officer I (Recruit)" listing in the "Jobs" section of the Career Center, follow the prompts, answer the standard & special questions, and apply for the position.
A separate process for "Certified Police Officer I/II" is also underway for current Virginia law enforcement officers and is open until filled.
- CLICK HERE for a step-by-step tutorial for creating a profile and submitting your application for the position.
- Click on the following link to go to the JCC Career Center to create your profile and apply.
- Deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 2.
Steps of Application / Hiring Process:
- Application screening
- VCIN/NCIC criminal history and DMV driving record checks
- Panel interview for selected applicants
- Background investigation, to include: personal history questionnaire, polygraph examination, local and national criminal history checks, and checks on credit history, neighborhood, character references, and employment
- Post-offer checks, to include: fitness assessment, personality profile assessment, physical/medical examination with drug test
- Candidates must agree not to use tobacco in any form both on and off the job
Click here to read more information about the process.
Questions about the Department and the recruitment process may be directed to Stephanie Williams by email or by calling 757-259-5173. Questions about filling out an application may be directed to HR by email or by calling 757-253-6680.
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
State Accredited Agency (VLEPSC)