James City County - Now Hiring Police Officers
You are receiving this email as a subscriber to James City County's "Notify Me" feature for Police Department Employment. We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting applications for Police Officer I and II. Please see the below information and visit our website for detailed information about the position, employment with JCC and benefits. Visit JCC Career Center to apply.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
About James City County
James City County is located near historic Williamsburg, VA and is part of the historic triangle of Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown, which are well-known significant historical sites in the history of our nation. The County serves a population of more than 75,000 people and has a total area of 180 square miles. Our residents enjoy an excellent location to live and prosper. Our County Government is dedicated to the role of ensuring delivery of needed, quality services in an efficient, informed, intelligent, cost-effective manner. We strive to fulfill our mission to work in partnership with all citizens to achieve a quality community. More information may be found at www.jamescitycountyva.gov.
About James City County Police Department
The Department (JCCPD) is proudly accredited through the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission. It has more than 100 sworn law enforcement officers who respond to more than 21,000 citizen calls for service each year. JCCPD provides comprehensive law enforcement services through its three divisions: Operations, Support Services, and Administrative Services. Every patrol officer is assigned a vehicle and is outfitted with uniforms and equipment, to include: RADAR, Also-sensor, flashlight, TASER, Glock 9mm handgun, body-worn camera, in-car camera, mobile computer, Automated External Defibrillator (AED), and an electronic summons system including in-car printer and bar code scanner. JCCPD offers a number of opportunities for career development, specialized assignments, and training including: general investigations, narcotics investigations, traffic safety and enforcement, community services & crime prevention, school resource officer program, and uniform patrol. JCCPD also has a number of specialized teams, to include: Honor Guard, SWAT, Bike Patrol, Marine Patrol, Underwater Search & Recovery, Crisis Negotiations, Motors, and Tactical Field Force.
Job Description / Responsibilities
- Maintains public peace, protects life and property, enforces law, and conducts investigations according to departmental policies and with minimal supervision; performs specialized and involved tasks, and administrative duties, including investigation of complex incidents or criminal acts.
- Operates police vehicle to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons, and disturbances of law and order; responds to radio dispatches; answers calls and complaints; responds to major crime calls (robbery, rape, murder, maiming, burglary, etc.); performs foot patrols to serve as a deterrent to criminal activity and to enhance the department’s Community Policing philosophy; investigates complaints and issues summonses or makes arrests; prepares detailed reports and maintains records.
- Detects and investigates crimes: conducts surveillance of individuals, vehicles, and locations; interviews victims, suspects, and witnesses; collects and identifies evidence and property; seizes contraband and/or evidence; protects crime scenes; investigates traffic crashes.
- Apprehends and arrests suspects, using weapons when necessary; obtains, verifies, and executes arrest warrants; conducts high-risk felony vehicle stops; detains, searches, arrests and handcuffs persons, as required; subdues and disarms resisting or attacking persons; transports and handles prisoners.
- Prepares for and gives legal testimony; appears in court as a designated investigating officer.
- Police Officer III and IV (requires career ladder advancement): assists and advises Police Officers with more difficult or hazardous situations as instructed; assumes command of the shift/unit in the absence of or at the direction of the Lieutenant / Sergeant; ensures that all calls for service are answered and dealt with in a timely manner; serves as needed in a specialty area such as Field Training Officer, Instructor, SWAT, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be at least 21-years-old (by completion of field training)
- Must meet all qualifications listed in Code of Virginia 15.2-1705,
- Must have a high school education or GED (some college preferred)
- Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria
- Must not have been convicted of or plead guilty or no contest to:
- any felony
- any offense involving moral turpitude
- any misdemeanor sex offense
- domestic assault
- Must not have any automatic disqualifiers
- Must not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening.
- If conditionally accepted for a position, undergo:
- a thorough background investigation including fingerprint-based criminal history records inquiries to both the CCRE and FBI
- a polygraph examination, psychological screening, and fitness assessment
- a physical examination and drug test
Starting Salaries (non-negotiable):
*BLE - Basic Law Enforcement through Virginia Department of Criminal Justice ServicesApplicants, please take note:
- $41,428 - Police Officer I (recruit, not certified)
- $43,500 - Police Officer I (Virginia BLE* certified <2 yrs. w/ certain qualifications)
- $45,674 - Police Officer II (Virginia BLE* certified >2 yrs. w/ certain qualifications)
- Applying is a two-step process:
- Create your profile (application) being sure to complete all tabs and/or fields within each section, then
- Find and click on the "Police Officer I/II" listing in the "Jobs" section of the Career Center, follow the prompts, answer the standard & special questions, and apply for the position.
- Be thorough and detailed on the application
- Include any attachments that would complement your application package (for example, educational certificate(s) and/or diploma(s), Military DD-214, relevant training documents, etc.)
- Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully-completed application is required.
All complete applications will be reviewed, to include driving record and criminal history checks related to the Code of Virginia and JCCPD’s automatic disqualifiers. Selected applicants will then continue to a panel interview. A thorough background investigation will be completed on selected applicants, to include: fingerprint-based criminal history check through CCRE and FBI, sex offender registry check, polygraph (lie detector), character and employment reference checks, credit history, psychological and fitness assessment, and medical exam with hearing and drug tests.
Click here to read more information, to include steps in the recruiting / hiring process and the list of automatic disqualifiers. Click here to view the full job description.
Questions about the Department and the recruitment process may be directed to Stephanie Williams by email or by calling 757-259-5173. Questions about filling out an application may be directed to HR by email or by calling 757-253-6680.
TO APPLY: Click on the following link to go to the JCC Career Center.
Accepting applications until 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, August 9, 2020
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
State Accredited Agency