Curbside Recycling Program
Changes to Curbside Recycling
Changes are coming to the curbside recycling program on July 1, 2019, due to international import restrictions and associated net cost increases to the recycling haulers and operators. As part of a regional contract through the Virginia Peninsula Public Service Authority (VPPSA), our curbside recycling service will be provided by TFC Recycling.
- Acceptable Items include plastic bottles and jugs, cardboard, mixed paper, metal cans, glass bottles and jars; All other items are considered contamination
- The contamination items that create the biggest problems to the recycling stream are plastic bags, stretch wrap, pizza boxes, food waste, yard waste, diapers and long items that tangle such as rope, carpet, hoses, Christmas lights, and wire
- If the cart contains items that are not included on the acceptable items list, the cart will not be serviced and continuous use of the recycling cart for trash items will result in the removal of the recycling cart
Billing & Procedures
- Curbside recycling services will continue to be paid for by the County through Sept. 30
- For services beginning on Oct. 1, the proposed fee is $7 per household per month
- Payments can be made through the James City County Treasurer’s Office and the Satellite Services Office in Toano
- Services will be pre-paid quarterly
- The first bill will be mailed Aug. 15 with a due date of Sept. 15
- You may opt out of the program after July 1
- The new curbside service provided by TFC Recycling will continue every 2 weeks on the same schedule as the current program
- Recycling haulers will not collect any items left outside the cart
- Your new cart will be 96 gallons and is gray with a tan lid
- If you currently have a 35 gallon cart your new cart will also be 35 gallons
- If you would like to change the size of the cart call 757-253-6700
- The new cart will be delivered between June 15 and June 30
- Your old cart will be picked up by County Waste at the time of the last recycling collection in June
- A "bag of knowledge" detailing all of the information regarding the new program will be attached to your new cart at time of delivery
Request Recycling Services
Our curbside recycling program serves approximately 24,000 homes. If you live in the service area, a recycling cart and brochure will be delivered to your home in about 1 week upon request. Contact the Virginia Peninsula Public Service Authority (VPPSA) at 757-259-9850 or via email to determine if curbside recycling is available in your area.
Curbside collection is provided bi-weekly. View the weekly schedule calendar (PDF).