Single-Family Residential & Duplex

In addition to completing a building permit application, you will need to provide the following:
  • Two sets of construction documents for the structure meeting the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
  • Three copies of the site plan that notes the location of the structure and clearly shows distances to all property lines, structures, easements and other property characteristics. This site drawing shall include topographic contours, and limits of clearing, drainage and erosion control. The plat must be drawn to scale and include distances to streams, wetlands or other sensitive areas.
  • A copy of the soil report which indicates the potential for shrink-swell soil on this property and soil bearing capacities. An engineered foundation design is required if shrink-swell soil is found.
  • A permit to install a sewage system or modify an existing sewage system from the State Health Department.
  • Permits may be issued to owners or owner's agent. If permit is issued to someone other than a contractor, they must sign an affidavit regarding licensure as a contractor.