Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Residents of Pocahontas Trail were awakened early Feb. 29 by the sound of smoke alarms ringing through the house. Everyone exited safely and the Fire Department was called. Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke inside the house and smoldering fire near electrical wiring. The fire was extinguished and no one was injured. According to national research residents have as little as two minutes to escape a burning house.
The James City County Fire Department recommends having family fire drills to ensure that everyone knows at least two ways out and can act quickly in an emergency. Studies show that working smoke alarms reduce the risk of death or injury in a house fire by 50%. The homeowner of the Pocahontas Trail residence stated that he had recently replaced the batteries in all the smoke alarms.
Learn more about how to take care of your smoke alarms at jamescitycountyva.gov/fire. James City County residents who do not have smoke alarms are encouraged to call Fire Administration for assistance 757-220-0626.
Media Contact: Ryan T. Ashe, Fire Chief 757-565-7604; firstname.lastname@example.org